Film Curation Traineeships in Kenya, Uganda & rwanda
Placement dates: 1 November 2018 to 15 May 2019
Placement Title: Film Curation Traineeship
Africa in Motion Film Festival, in partnership with Docubox (Kenya), African Movie Night Kampala (Uganda), and Kwetu Film Institute (Rwanda) are delighted to offer two Film Curation Traineeships per country aimed at aspiring film curators who would like to develop their skills. This role will provide training and mentorship in curation and film programming from leading experts in the field. Each trainee will be supported by a country-based mentor, as well as by programmers from the Africa in Motion Film Festival in Scotland. The two trainees will work together to curate and implement an event or series of events taking place in their countries. The Traineeship will start in November 2018, when you will receive an induction and information pack containing details on film curation practices and take part in group meetings and Skype sessions connecting you with expert mentors. You will take part in an intensive three-day training workshop on 30 Jan, 31 Jan and 1 Feb 2019 taking place at the Kwetu Film Institute in Kigali, where you will receive training through talks, workshops and various exercises facilitated by international experts from Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa and Scotland. During the workshop Trainees will further develop their curatorial practices and plans for their own event/s, for which you will receive a budget to implement by April 2019. Local and international travel expenses, accommodation and subsistence will be covered.
Throughout the Traineeship you will be encouraged to think about film curation as a creative and intellectual endeavour, influenced by one’s cultural background and positionality, and by one’s visual literacy and taste. You will also be encouraged to consider the benefits of developing film exhibition and audiences in nurturing and supporting the local film industries.
Following your event, you will compile a report documenting your experiences in planning and executing your events. This report has to be submitted to Africa in Motion Film Festival by 15 May 2019.
This Traineeship is funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund at the University of Glasgow, in collaboration with the Africa in Motion Film Festival in Scotland.
Candidates will develop skills in the following areas:
- Film selections: research, archival work, distributor negotiations, screening formats, fees, film transport
- Venue selections
- Events planning: panel discussions, Q&As, other complementary events
- Budgeting and financial planning & management
- Audiences: selecting and targeting audiences
- Marketing and publicity: writing synopses & press releases, developing press & publicity strategies, social media, niche marketing, interviews, photography, event documentation, etc.
- 15 Oct 2018: Deadline for traineeship applications
- 31 Oct 2018: Announcement of successful applicants
- Nov-Dec 2018: Online training, Skype meetings
- 30 Jan-1 Feb 2019: Three-day training workshop in Kigali, Rwanda
- Feb-April 2019: Planning and execution of own events
- 15 May 2019: Post-event report due to Africa in Motion Film Festival
The ideal candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kigali or Kampala.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Some experience of coordinating arts activities and a proven ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent computer literacy particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to work under pressure and to work flexibly and co-operatively as part of a team
- Availability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed
- A demonstrable interest in African cinema and film curation
- Experience working in a film festival and/or African arts organisation
To apply: Send your CV and a one-page cover letter, explaining why you are ideal for the job to:
- Kenyan applicants: April Wambui Gathee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Justine Atkinson (email@example.com)
- Ugandan applicants: Moses Serugo (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Justine Atkinson (email@example.com)
- Rwandan applicants: Eric Kabera (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Justine Atkinson (email@example.com)
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 15 October 2018. You might be contacted for an in-person or Skype interview following this deadline.