Call For Volunteers
Love meeting new people, want to learn about the inside workings of a festival, or discover African cinema rarely seen in Scotland? ... This is your chance... We are currently looking for dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to join our team for the 13th instalment of Africa in Motion (26 October - 4 November)!
Volunteers are key to the success of the festival and the wide range of skills, experience and interests volunteers bring all help to make the festival possible.
This role will suit people who are:
- A part of the African Diaspora
- and/or interested in African culture, particularly African film
- A film student, or passionate cinema-goer
- Comfortable greeting and talking to members of the general public
- Seeking to develop new skills or use existing ones to help in the running of the festival
- Interested in being part of a supportive team, and making new connections
- Based near Glasgow or Edinburgh & are available between 26thOct and 4thNov 2018
- Mad about goodie-bags, badges and free access to screenings, parties and events!
You will be:
- Invited to attend a training day & induction, briefing you on the festival and this year’s programme
- Reimbursed for travel costs (up to £15/day)
- Invited to attend the festival closing party, as well as various volunteer social events
- Become part of the Africa in Motion community!
What will the role involve?
The most common role for our volunteers during the festival will be as front of house and events stewards, based at one of the various venues across Glasgow and Edinburgh. As a front of house steward you will be the face of the festival; greeting the public, discussing the programme of films and events and showing people to their seats. You will be the first and most direct contact the audience has with the festival, so enthusiasm, an approachable personality and the ability to speak confidently about the programme are key.
Other duties will include distribution of event flyers & feedback forms, as well as working on the merchandise desk and VIP bags at Openings. Volunteers may also be called upon as runners – assisting the Festival Management Team between venues during simultaneous events/screenings. Please note: Volunteers will work in either Glasgow OR Edinburgh as standard, dependent on where they live. In special circumstances volunteers may be asked to cover shifts in the other city, but this will be arranged with good notice.
What to get involved? Apply now!
1) Online: Complete the online application form
2) Email: Please send an email along with your completed application form, available here: VOLUNTEER-APPLICATION-FORM-AiM-Film-Festival-2018.doc , to Finn Daniels-Yeomans, firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Post: Complete the application form and post it to:
Africa in Motion Film Festival,
Room 1, Suite 23, Templeton House,
62 Templeton Street,
Suitable applicants will be contacted via email after the application deadline and invited to interview in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. The application deadline is Friday 27 September 2018.
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 9th October (Glasgow) and Wednesday 10thOctober (Edinburgh). Successful candidates will be contacted after the interview and will be required to attend an Induction Day, which will take place between 14thand 19th October.
Thank you, we look forward to receiving your applications!